Well, there is a short answer and a long answer.  The short answer is no.  There are no health benefits, miraculous or otherwise to be found in Miracle Mineral Solution.  Now, in traditional Great Ape fashion, I will tell you about the latest medical scam that I have learned about.  This is the long version for those of you who are still reading.

Miracle Mineral Solution, or MMS for short, is a substance sold by Jim Humble.  He claims that this product can cure AIDS, all forms of hepatitis, cancer, and a wide variety of other ailments.  But what is MMS exactly?

Miracle Mineral Solution. It has no minerals. It has no miracles. But, it is a solution.

MMS is a solution of sodium chlorite that a person is supposed to put in their drinking water with a few drops of vinegar.  It is supposed to be absorbed by the body and damage any and all pathogens without harming the healthy tissue.  Now there are a few problems with these claims.  First, there are no minerals in this solution.  Second, sodium chlorite is bleach.  Third, there is no such thing as a substance that is capable of killing pathogens that does not do some level of damage to any living tissue.

So why is MMS so bad for you?  Well to put it bluntly, MMS is industrial strength bleach.  Sodium chlorite is used in textiles, lumber, paper production, and cleansing solutions.  Now you may have the same question that I did when learning about this product; why would anyone think that this stuff is safe to drink?

Sodium chlorite is used in water purification.  This use is very different than the use when it is sold as MMS however.  In profesional water purification, the sodium chlorite is added in small amounts while being exposed to UV light.  The UV light causes sodium chlorite to degrade rapidly so that it is not in the water anymore when it is distributed.

So what are the dangers of drinking water with MMS added to it.  Well, MMS is just bleach.  Bleach is a powerful oxidizer, which means that it destroys the molecules of tissues in order to become more stable at the molecular level.  This means that MMS degrades the tissues of the mouth, throat, stomach, and intestines.

In the words of Tyler Durton, “this is a chemical burn.”

The dangers of ingesting MMS go beyond the degradation of bodily tissues in the GI tract.  MMS can coagulate bodily fluids and destroy red blood cells, which in turn can lead to a wide host of medical problems.

So remember, MMS is just one more fraud that preys on the desperation of people with severe illnesses.  If you use it, please stop for your own health.  If you know someone who uses it, please try to help them stop.  And remember, this stuff is just bleach.